Today’s recipe for a one pot spicy sausage tortellini skillet comes from Ann Arbor, Michigan raised Chef PositiveEnerge.
Now that Summer is here, these beautiful days mean one thing, its time to get people together for good food followed by great vibes!
A little bit about me
To those of you that don’t follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat (you should by the way); my name is Ethan Ketner. I’m a 25-year-old entrepreneur, I own and operate multiple online businesses, I am starting a catering company and I am also the Head Chef of Detroit Fudge Company. I have been cooking for several years now and have a huge passion for arts of all types. My culinary background includes working for Zingerman’s Bakehouse as a pastry assistant chef, and I was also the right hand man of Charlie Frank, the Managing Partner of Zingerman’s Candy Manufactory. Enough about me though, let’s get into what you are here for!
This deliciously simple dish will impress any company you invite over, is low maintenance, and cooks in one pot (meaning the clean up is quick!). The skillet is packed with an adequate amount of carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A, B6, C, K, and is also rich in potassium, magnesium, and phosphorous.
If you’re planning on running a marathon, want to hit the gym, are regularly active, or just want to enjoy a delicious meal; this dish is right for you. I love this recipe because you can cook the skillet, break it down into 8-10 portions and there’s your meal prep for a few days. I recommend this as both a pre and post-workout.
What to partner the recipe with
I highly recommend that you enjoy this skillet with roasted vegetables, greens or any of your favorite sides. The majority of the cooking I do includes as much locally farmed and raised ingredients as I can possibly find. I love to visit Ann Arbor’s Farmers Market every Saturday morning in search of something new and exciting. Make sure to support local businesses no matter where you are!
Heat up your kettle, brew yourself a tall cup of tea, throw on your apron, and lets get into it!
Yield: 8-10 servings
- Two Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Three Cloves of Garlic, minced
- One Pound Ground Spicy Italian Sausage
- 3/4 Cup Mozzarella
- Half a Cup Grated Parmesan
- 24 oz Fresh Cheese Tortellini
- One third of a Cup of Water
- 3 Cups Favorite Spaghetti Sauce or Homemade Sauce
- One Tablespoon Italian Seasoning or Favorite Seasonings (I like a mix of cumin, oregano, thyme, parsley, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper)
- A Cup of Fresh Basil
- 1 Medium Onion (Sweet, White, or Vidalia), sauteed or caramelized if time allows
- Heat olive oil in oven safe skillet over medium-high, add garlic and onion (if not caramelized prior) and saute till light brown. Crumble sausage in and cook through, until no signs of pink.
- Stir in sauce, basil, seasonings, water, and tortellini.
- Bring mixture to a boil, turn down heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 8 minutes or until tortellini is tender. While the pasta is cooking turn broiler on to low.
- Remove from heat. Top with onions (if caramelized), sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheeses to cover entire skillet.
- Put pan under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, serve with favorite barbeque or hot sauce.
Thank you for checking out my recipe, I hope you enjoy every bite of it! Please feel free tag me in your pictures if you decide to post it on social media @positiveenerge
“In order to carry a positive action, we must develop here a positive vision.” – Dalai Lama