Today’s summer recipe of strawberry cherry chia jam is brought to us by talented foodie naturallynatalie._
What do you get when you combine locally grown strawberries and cherries, a hint of lemon, pure maple syrup AND the fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acid and micronutrient superfood also known as Chia Seeds?… BAM! the absolute perfect go-to morning spread! Guaranteed… OH! and did I mention this jam is super-healthy, low in added sugar and vegan! The best part of it all is that you can swap out the strawberries & cherries and use absolutely any fresh or frozen fruit your hearts desire, making this spread enjoyable to everyone! ALL YEAR ROUND.
Summer has finally arrived here in Ontario (YAY!) and that means freshly picked fruit & veggies are being scooped up at local markets and grocery stores daily. “Pick your Own” farms are also at there peak, allowing people to pull in and well…. you guess! Pick there own fruit of course! Which is an experience I have still yet to do on my own however, in the next few weeks I hope to quit procrastinating and get to it. Strawberries and dark tart cherries are both two of my top favourite fruits of choice so with that said, I wanted to create a simple, healthy spread that I could deeply sink my teeth into and enjoy on what has become my new latest obsession… the mother of all breads… Sourdough.
I’m not talking about the “wanna-be” fake versions of sourdough found at most super-markets. I’m talking about the real authentic, 3 ingredient, fermented kind. The ones found in an old-school rustic bakery like De la terre bakery on king street, using only the finest stone milled flour + water + salt combination, slowly left to ferment for several hours and then baked by a talented, educated, passionate, flour-covered baker who isn’t afraid of telling you all about how its made.
A fresh, healthy, low in added sugar, vegan spread that can be enjoyed all year round!
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dark cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2 Tsp. pure maple syrup (or to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 15 minutes
Passive time – 25 minutes
Servings 2 cups
- Start with 1 & 1/2 cups of both dark cherries & strawberries – wash, hulled & chop them (if you want to avoid bigger chunks, chop them into smaller pieces) If using raspberries or blueberries, you don’t even have to chop at all!
2. In a small saucepot, heat the fruit until they just start to bubble and get syrupy. Once soft, use a masher and mash them until mixture is jammy, leaving a few little bits chunky for extra texture (if you like).
3. Add the lemon juice and pure maple syrup. Amounts can vary depending on how sweet you’d like the jam. If you’d prefer no extra sweetner that’s absolutely fine too! At this point, you can taste your jam and make any necessary adjustments (to taste)
4. Take the mixture off of the heat, transfer it to a medium-large size mason jar and add in the chia seeds. Screw on the lid and give it the jar a good shake or stir.
5. Allow the mixture to set for at least 20 mins. Enjoy immediately! or pack away in the fridge to use throughout the week.
Article written by naturallynatalie._
All photos are copyright of naturallynatalie._
Website: thenaturallynatalie.com (Coming August 2016)