Today’s recipe of ‘The Pinup’ Vanilla Black Tea Crème Brûlée is brought to us by frlzebra
You might think it’s related to Mr Zebra’s Britishness – but believe me, I’ve been a tea lover for so much longer! Since I started working a lot from home my consumption of green and black tea has increased rapidly, with my black tea usually made the traditional British way – with milk. That doesn’t even change in summer, as I still drink tons of tea, but then mostly cold peppermint or other herbal teas – ❤
On today’s menu, there is delicious Crème Brûlée with Vanilla black tea. The tea gives the crème a very subtle bitterness, which pairs perfectly with the caramel and makes this classic dessert quite extraordinary!
makes 4 servings
- 240 g cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 25 g sugar
- 2 bags of black tea (Tip: The Pinup from TEA AND THE GANG)
- about 4 teaspoons of sugar
- Preheat oven to 160° C.
- Line a deep baking dish, large enough to accommodate all crème brûlée ramekins, with some kitchen paper. Place the ramekins on the paper towel and heat the water in a kettle.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan together with the tea bags. In a bowl, beat egg yolk and sugar until pale yellow. As soon as the cream boils, remove from the heat and it steep for 3 minutes, then bring it back to the boil.
- Remove the tea bags. Pour the hot cream carefully to the egg mixture while stirring constantly, then evenly pour into the ramekins.
- Place the dish with the filled bowls in the oven (middle rail) and pour the hot water around the ramekins so that the water reaches about halfway up the sides. Loosely cover with aluminium foil and leave it in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Then place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Just bevor serving sprinkle with sugar and then caramelise the sugar layer with a crème brûlée burner.
The effort really is worth it! A silky cream under a crisp layer of caramel – such a great dessert. And with this flavour combination, in particular, you’re really going to impress your guests!
Article written by and all photos are copyright of frlzebra