This amazing healthy summer recipe is brought to you by health and fitness advocate FitNurseTaylor
A simple yet stunning summer salad with herbal notes highlighting the cool watermelon. This salad makes for a great summer entrée or picnic side dish after your favorite outdoor summer activity. This salad is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, low-glycemic, and pairs perfectly with an iced green tea.
Watermelon is not only delicious and the perfect fruit for summer, but it also boasts a pretty impressive benefit. Studies have shown that eating about 2 cups of watermelon after intense physical activity was found to significantly reduce muscle soreness. This allows you to speed up your recovery time so you can do more of what moves you. Especially when packed with a protein-filled grain like Quinoa!
Mint leaves also have a powerful boost of nutrients such as beta-carotene, lutein, and vitamin K which help with blood clotting factors, healthy eyes, and help build a strong immune system. These vitamins and nutrients are absorbed much more effectively by your body when it is paired with a monounsaturated fat such as avocado.
This salad is a whole food nutrition powerhouse disguised by a fresh taste.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 5-6 mint leaves, minced
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime, divided in half.
1. Add quinoa to a medium saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Turn heat onto low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
2. While quinoa is cooking, make the lime-balsamic reduction. Sounds really fancy, when it’s actually really simple! Place balsamic vinegar and the juice of ½ lime in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and keep it at a strong simmer, stirring occasionally until the mixture has been reduced by approximately 1/3 and the mixture coats a spoon. After 10 minutes, remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool (it will thicken further as it cools) and set aside.
3. Combine watermelon, cooked quinoa, chopped mint leaves, the juice of ½ lime, and diced avocado in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Plate onto a large serving dish or individual plates. Finish with a drizzle of the lime-balsamic reduction. Serve immediately or chill and serve cold. Pairs perfectly with an iced green tea and a sprig of mint.
Article written by FitNurseTaylor
All photos are copyright of FitNurseTaylor