Today’s super healthy snack of Hazelnut Pumpkin Seed & Date Breakfast Bars is brought to us by Vegan maryle_goes_vegan
Who doesn’t love breakfast bars, right?
They’re small and handy and if you have no time for breakfast in the morning just throw one in your bag and have it with your cup of tea on the way to work, school or anywhere really. But are they good for you? With the huge amount of different bars on the market its hard to choose the right bar. They are all being marketed as really good for you with loads of fruit, nuts and cereal. But have you checked the ingredients list? First of all its’ usually a really long list and then one of the first ingredients listed is normally sugar. Most of them are full of sugar anyway and while I have also been guilty of buying them because they are so nice with your morning caffeine fix I think there is a better solution and it doesn’t involve much work! WIN WIN right?
So let me introduce you to my three ingredient breakfast bar, or elevenses bar, or anytime you want a snack bar really.
I try to make plenty of them and keep them handy to bring to work, or feed my kiddies with their plant milk when they’re that bit peckish.
I hope you’ll like them as much as I do.
- 200g dates
- 100g hazelnuts
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- ground pumpkin seeds for sprinkling
1. Chop all the ingredients with a sharp knive until they are very small. I usually do this because I like my bars chunky. You can also throw them into a food processor and process until you get a sticky mass that can be rolled out. If it is too crumbly add a drop of water. Really only a drop until all the ingredients come together.
2. Roll out into a square about 1cm high, obviously you can make thicker bars but then you will have less bars.
3. Sprinkle with ground pumpkin seeds
4. Cut into bars
5. Wrap into parchment paper and tie a ribbon around them (optionally).
Hazelnut Pumpkin Seed & Date Breakfast Bars article written by and all photos are copyright of maryle_goes_vegan