Today’s recipe of Fluffy Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones is brought to us by Food, Health & Lifestyle Inspiration inspiredbynick.
Who hasn’t always loved eating scones growing up? Even when I didn’t like them, I would pretend I did. Why? Because they were “fancy” treats from England!
I’ve always had an allure for London England, although I have yet to ever visit, there was something about the city that translated to vividly in big motion pictures and TV programs I would watch as a kid and somehow, when my family and I would go for high tea, with every tuck into a scone, we felt more and more English!
Even though I know there isn’t much fanciness to scones today, they still remind me of how much I used to dream of visiting Great Britain. This is why I like to make them from time to time.
The trick to getting a good vegan scone – using a flax egg or a chia egg (I went with chia)! For those unfamiliar, a chia egg is simply chia seeds mixed with water. Once mixed and settled, the chia and the water begin to form a gel-like consistency, similar to that of an egg!
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds + 2 ½ tbsp water)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened vanilla flavour)
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 4 heaping tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- A tbsp of baking powder
- Quarter of a cup of agave nectar
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips (ensure no milk ingredients are on the label for vegan option).
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Prepare your chia egg in a small mixing bowl and once the gel texture begins to form (3-5 minutes or so), add your almond milk.
3. In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, combine your flour, baking powder, agave nectar, cocoa powder and salt. Whisk together for 2-3 minutes or so.
4. Add your vegan butter (room temperature) to the mix and whisk together with a fork.
5. Quickly mix your chia seed and almond milk mixture again and slowly add to your bowl of dry ingredients, using a fork to mix together. Fold in your chocolate chips and combine until your chocolate chips are evenly dispersed.
6. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, lightly flour, and using your hands, begin to form triangular shaped scones, about 1 inch to 1.5 inches in height.
Let them bake for about 15-20 minutes or so. You will see them begin to turn golden brown. Once nice, golden and fluffy, pull them out and let them cool for about 2 minutes or so before enjoying!
Fluffy Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones article written by and all photos are copyright of inspiredbynick