Today’s amazing recipe of The Pinup – Vanilla Tea Cakes is inspired by our ‘the pinup’ Vanilla black tea and brought to us by food blogger the_esi
Although I am a huge fan of coffee, I really appreciate a good cup of tea, especially during this season, or in the winter time. I am not really committed to just one special flavour and really enjoy all of the wide spectrum that many brands have to offer. The only exception is rosehip, I don’t know why, but I am sorry to say I despise the flavour of it.
It was really hard for me to pick just one flavour I wanted to try… All of their teas look so appealing and delicious and I immediately fell in love with the packaging. They let you match your personality to their teas, how cool is that??? They have tea with personality. If I had found the online shop before, I would have ordered at least 5 different teas!
But I ended up trying two boxes of tea. The first one is named ‘The Pinup’ and is a vanilla black tea. The second one is a beautiful christmasy blend named ‘Santa’s Babe’ which I’ll show you next month on Instagram. Or maybe I even will make some cookies to go with it? We’ll see 🙂
But first, back to our cake today. I got inspired by the traditional English Victoria Sponge Cake I discovered on a trip in Ireland. It’s a light and fluffy sponge cake which is also known as Victoria Sandwich. It is filled with raspberry marmelade / jam and whipped cream and named after Queen Victoria who liked a slice or two with her afternoon tea.
For my Vanilla Tea Cakes I chose to use a normal sized 10″ cake pan. Normally I really like the 7″ or 8″, but I thought most of you might just have the big one. Of course you can take the recipe and divide the cake batter into two little pans. Please check the baking time then, as it might be shorter.
FOR A 10″ CAKE:
- 4 large eggs
- (250g) butter, softened
- 250 g sugar
- 250 g flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda
- 60 g (not ml) milk
- One tea bag vanilla tea, e.g. ‘The Pinup’ by Tea and the Gang
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING / DECORATION
- 300 g (not ml) heavy cream for whipping
- A big jar of plum marmelade
- 1-2 tea bags of vanilla tea, e.g. „The Pinup“ by Tea and the Gang
- powdered sugar
- First lightly warm (not cook!) the milk with the tea bag, let brew several minutes, remove the tea bag and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile beat the eggs with the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking soda and fold into the cake batter. Add the infused milk and vanilla extract and mix again for a smooth batter.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and grease your cake pan of choice. Pour in the cake batter and bake for about 45-50 minutes. Allow to rest for a few minutes before you remove the pan and let the cake cool completely on a baking rack.
- Lightly warm the heavy cream with 1-2 tea bags (really just warm it a bit), let brew several minutes and allow to cool before you whip it. Cut the cake in half, spread the marmelade, then the whipped cream on the bottom half and sandwich the cake together.
- Decorate with loads of powdered sugar and if you like with a bit of loose tea. Just cut open a third tea bag.
HAPPY BAKING AND ENJOY YOUR CAKE & OF COURSE YOUR CUP OF TEA!
The Pinup – Vanilla Tea Cakes article written by and all photos are copyright of the_esi