Today’s La Chica inspired Lemon & lime polenta tea cake is brought to us by the talented food lover debsbakerykitchen
This rich flavoured polenta cake is very easy to make and it’s also gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. I’ve used the lemon & lime green tea to enrich the flavour and combined with lemon, honey and pistachios it’s a beautiful desert or treat. It’s best served with a large dollop of crème fraîche or (plant based) yoghurt.
- 300g fine polenta
- 100g pistachio kernels, ground
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (50ml)
- 4 eggs
- 175ml honey
- 200ml mild olive oil
- 200ml lemon & lime green tea of 1 bag (La chica, Tea and the gang)
- 1 extra bag of lemon & lime tea, dry tea taken out of the bag
- Juice of 1 lemon (roughly 50ml)
- 50ml honey
- 50g pistachio kernels, chopped finely
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 20cm cake tin with a little olive oil and line the base with baking paper. Grease the top of the baking paper with a little olive oil too.
- Mix all the polenta with 100g ground pistachios, the dry tea from one tea bag and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, 175ml honey, all the olive oil, 200 ml of tea and the juice from 1 lemon in a large bowl or jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased and lined tin and cook in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, until the top is light gold and a skewer comes out clean.
- Just before the cake is ready to come out, mix 50ml lemon juice with 50ml honey and pour over the hot cake whilst still in the tin – leave for at least 10 minutes before removing the cake from the tin.
- Place the cake on a plate or a stand and decorate with remaining pistachios and lemon zest.
Do not use a loose bottomed tin as the batter for this cake is very wet.
Lemon & lime polenta tea cake article written by and all photos are copyright of debsbakerykitchen