Todays recipe of Chocolate Strawberry Quinoa Porridge is brought to you by the lovely health conscious Italian Erika Grossi from New York, USA.
A beautiful 5-ingredient chocolate strawberries quinoa porridge naturally sweetened with oat milk and infused with raw cocoa powder. Protein-rich, vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
Carbs are crucial for post-exercise recovery because they replenish the lost glycogen in the muscles; they also have a powerful anti-catabolic effect and help lower cortisol, while at the same time increasing serotonin, which makes you feel good. One of the most popular choices in grain alternatives is quinoa.
Technically not a grain but a relative of green leafy vegetables, quinoa is very nutritious and is packed with protein containing all nine of the essential amino acids plus a great source of energy from it’s carbohydrate content. It is high in fibre, gluten free and contains many vitamins and minerals like magnesium.
I was looking for something simple, protein-rich, vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free for post-workout recovery and this breakfast bowl is incredibly simple, requiring just 5 ingredients and more or less 30 minutes, depending on the type of quinoa you are using.
- Half a cup of quinoa
- A cup of unsweetened oat milk (use soy milk or almond milk to make the recipe totally gluten free)
- One cup of diced strawberries
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- One tbs raw cocoa powder
- additional hot water
- optional healthy toppings: pecans, flaked coconut, raisins and berries
- Rinse quinoa vigorously for a few minutes to wash away a bitter natural coating that coats the quinoaseeds
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add rinsed, drained quinoa and combine unsweetened oat milk (use soy milk or almond milk to make the recipe totally gluten free) and stir.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes (depending on the type of quinoa you are using), covered, stirring occasionally; meanwhile, finely dice the strawberries.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, if the quinoa is still semi soft then just add more hot water and cook for other 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add raw cocoa powder, chia seeds and diced strawberries and heat for another 5-6 minutes, until quinoa is soft;
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed; then leave the quinoa to res tin the hot saucepan for a few minutes, so you don’t end up with clumpy/wet quinoa;
- Serve each bowl of quinoa with any other desired toppings. I preferred mine with a bit of nuts (pecans), flaked coconut raisins and fresh fruit (berries).
Chocolate Strawberry Quinoa Porridge article written by ErikaFNG,
All photos are copyright of ErikaFNG