I haven’t been able to get scones out of my head since seeing them on my last shopping trip, so here we have it a simple and nutritious scone, perfect for an afternoon pick me up.
Moist on the inside but crisp on the outside, these are everything a scone should be, but with a lot more; infused with lemon and blueberry these are not to be missed.
They are low carb, gluten and dairy free, and made with no refined sugars, just natural honey.
These take a little longer than normal scones since the “dough” isn’t as easy to handle, but it’s definitely worth the extra little bit of time and effort.
Hope you like them and enjoy!!!
- 80g Ground Almonds
- 60g coconut Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 60g Butter, I used Dairy Free Pure Olive Oil Butter
- x2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 70g blueberries, (I used Half Frozen and Half Fresh)
- x1 Lemon Zest, Optional
(Servings: 8 – Per serving – Calories 172 – Fat 12 – Protein 5 – Carbs 11 – Sugars 6)
- Preheat oven to 200℃. Prepare a silicone baking tray by spraying with coconut oil or you can use a baking tray lined with parchment.
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients; ground almonds, flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine crumbs, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, honey and lemon, save 2 tbsp of the egg mix for later.
- Gradually add the egg mix to the dry ingredients and combine using a wooden spoon, fold in the blueberries and divide into 8 equal patties (the mixture will be slightly sticky).
- Press each of the patties into a cookie cutter (68mm – 2 5/8 inch) to form a scone shape and place on your prepared baking tray, make sure they aren’t touching.
- Brush each scone with the saved egg mixture and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden.
8. Let cool on a wire rack, and serve with a scoop of coconut cream or butter.
9. If there are any leftover store in an airtight box in the fridge or freezer.
Article written by and all photos are copyright of ames701