It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas and what better than gingerbread men with Sticky Ginger Cake? Today’s recipe is brought to us by beautyandthebakes
Christmas always reminds me of my childhood baking sweet smelling ginger cookies and decorating them with silly faces for santa. Just the smell of the ginger and molasses wafting through the air takes me right back, isn’t it strange how a smell can transport you like that? Now let’s fast forward 20 years and not a lot has changed, I still make ginger cookies and put silly faces on them, they are now just vegan cookies instead.
Now onto what i made, sticky ginger cake with all the same smells and flavours of gingerbread, but it’s also sticky, fluffy and crumbles in your mouth. It has a hint of molasses, the warmth of ginger and a kick of cinnamon. This loaf is not only free from dairy but its also refined sugar free so you do not get that sugar crash after a slice of this.
There are only 8 ingredients to make this beautiful loaf, a splash of water and a few spices. Into the oven for 40 minutes and your house will be smelling just like Christmas. This loaf takes no time to actually make but a little time to prepare some of the ingredients, but its all worth it trust me!
- 1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour if making Gluten Free add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1tbs baking powder
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- Half a cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce
- Quarter date puree (dates soaked in water, drained and blended)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1tbs chia seed soaked in 4tbs of water for 10 minutes
- 2tbs black strap molasses
- 1tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- First off preheat your oven at 160 with fan and line a 9inch loaf tin with greaseproof paper and set to the side.
- Put all of your dry ingredients that i have listed at the top through a sieve to make sure there are no large lumps.
- In another bowl mix all your wet ingredients together to make sure they are well combined.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and pour in the wet ingredients and fold together making sure not to over mix you only want to just combine them.
- Place the mixture in the loaf tin and bake for 40-45mins, until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let it cool down and enjoy with a lovely cup of tea!
Sticky Ginger Cake article written by and all photos are copyright of beautyandthebakes